Individual Project: Career Development Plan
Prepare your own five-year career development plan about ‘What do you intend to do professionally in the next 5 years (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, 4th & 5th year)’? Your plan must be presented in time-line format (This can be done using MS Project and multiple other software). Be very specific with your timeline, provide dates for when will you achieve different things mentioned in your timeline. For instance, if you mention in your timeline you will attempt an exam provide a DATE of when will you attempt that exam. Also include the COSTS associated with completing different activities. Your career plan must address and consider the following items:
a)What are your career objectives? What position, field or industry do you want to work in/for? (To be answered in introductory paragraph – Max 1 page)
oWhich province in Canada and why? (This needs to be supported with job market analysis such as employment options, field attractiveness, income potential/salary rates – I want to see a lot of statistics in here – Don’t make this section descriptive – use graphs, charts, salary benchmarking tables from provincial reliable sources – include timeline in here)
b)If you in intend to work for an organization, what are the possible promotional opportunities for career growth and what senior level position do you wish to obtain? How long will it take for you to obtain your next promotion within your field? What certificate will be needed for promotion? how many years of experience will be required for the promotion? (Max 1 page for this -This can be easily included in your time-line – company/field analysis in here)
c)An inventory of your current skills, abilities, training, education, and prior experience. and the required qualifications for your desired position? (Strictly use a table to outline your current education as well as all job-specific skills, certificates etc., that you have. Only mention the certificates/degrees acceptable in Canada)
d)From your time- line Identify three action steps that are crucial to achieving your stated career development plan. These steps are usually those without which your plan cannot proceed. (Put a heading action steps and describe them in short paragraphs- 3-4 lines maximum)
e)Identify potential barriers that might prevent you from reaching your stated career goals and objectives. (In bullet points – make sure they are all realistic and applicable to you. Just imagine what problems would you face while starting your professional career in Canada. include the COSTS in here)
- ANALYSIS – You will be marked based on how accurate your figures/Data are, thoroughness of your analysis and how well prepared you are to start your professional career in Canada. How creative/unique and detailed your time line is. How well do you know entry requirements for your specific field and what are you doing right now or will be doing shortly to meet them. How realistic your plan is in terms of the problems that you will face and what will you do to resolve those problems.
- PAPER REQUIREMENTS – Whether students have fully understood the paper requirements. If all requirements are satisfactorily met/fulfilled. Whether or not all questions have been answered.
- QUALITY AND VARIETY OF SOURCES– For this information to be robust you have to use at least 15 references – Google, Wikipedia will not be considered as authentic sources you will be marked down for using them. You can use company websites, Governmental & provincial websites of Canada, Job Market analysis taken from statista and other reliable sources, entry requirements for your profession from provincial bodies etc.,
- FORMATTING -You must include title page and list of references for this Project. APA style of formatting, referencing tables, font style, line spacing etc., must be used
- Provide all your sources of information that you have used to gather the numbers/figures along with hyperlinks that instructor can access in the list of references. NUMBER the references in your list.