In case you need high-quality essay, we are here to help you. Would you like us to handle your paper? Use our writing services for better grades and meet your deadlines.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Ethics News Assignment 1 – Choose an Ethics News Event related to material in Chapters 1-5
Ethics News Assignment 2 – Choose an Ethics News Event related to material in Chapters 6-10
Ethics News Assignment 3 – Choose an Ethics News Event related to material in Chapter 11-15
HOW TO SUBMIT
1. Go to the Georgia View course home page and click “Module 1” (under Content Browser).
2. Next, click “Ethics News 1 – Submit Here.”
3. Attach a blank file, and then locate the text box (called “Comments”) that will appear. You must attach a file before the text box will become visible.
4. TYPE or PASTE your work into the text box (DO NOT ATTACH) and submit.
5. Follow the same sequence of instructions for Module 2 (Ethics News 2) and Module 3 (Ethics News 3).
Do not submit attachments. Due to virus concerns, I do not open or grade attachments.
If your assignment is submitted as an attachment your grade will be zero.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ETHICS NEWS ASSIGNMENTS
Read the chapters assigned for each Ethics News Assignment. Choose an “Ethics News Event,” which is a current event, news story, or media example of an ethics situation. It may be an event you saw on TV, an event that you read in the newspaper or magazine, an event from an online news source, etc. Your Ethics News Event must provide an example of the assigned textbook material. It must be reasonably current, meaning that it occurred within the last 10 years. Your Ethics News Event may be taken from a factual (real life) source, or from a fictional source.
Your Ethics News Event must be an example of at least two textbook topics. A topic can be a word or phrase in bold type, or it can be a chapter section or subsection. It can also be other terms or theories mentioned in your reading assignment. If it is in the book, the topic is fine to use.
You may choose an Ethics News Event that is psychology-related, or one that is not psychology-related. For example, you might choose an event from psychology, medicine, legal proceedings, or the business/corporate environment.
Your Ethics News Event may show either ethical behavior or unethical behavior. Either option is fine.
Give a detailed description of your Ethics News Event, and explain why it is an example of the two textbook topics.
Your Ethics News Assignment must be 1000 words for full credit. It must be divided into three sections, as shown in the example below.
1. For full credit, your Ethics News Assignment must consist of three paragraphs, formatted like the example below. Paragraph 1 must be a description of the Ethics News Event. Paragraphs 2 and 3 must be topics from the assigned textbook chapters, with explanations of how your Ethics News Event is an example of each topic.
2. Include a reasonable citation for your Ethics News Event. For example, you might cite a news story and explain that it aired during the first week of February 2018, on CBS. If possible, give a web address. If you use a fictional source, cite it as specifically as possible. For example, you might state that the event occurred during an episode of The Big Bang Theory entitled “An Unjust Universe,” which aired during the summer of 2016.
3. Protect the privacy of other people — If you describe another person, do not use his/her real name (use initials).
EXCEPTIONS: You may use the names of public figures, people in the news, or your own name.
EXAMPLE OF ETHICS NEWS ASSIGNMENT
Ethics News Event: Larry Nasser, a sports doctor, convicted of multiple cases of sexual abuse of his patients
Source Citation: From a CBS news story in November of 2017 (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/larry-nassar-usa-gymnastics-doctor-pleads-guilty-sex-charges-faces-at-least-25-years-prison/)
Description: Since 2016, there have been numerous news stories regarding the behavior of Dr. Larry Nasser. He was a physician who treated hundreds of young, female gymnasts over a period of many years. More than 150 young women have stated that Dr. Nasser abused them, including episodes of groping, fondling, and penetration. These events occurred during treatment sessions, which the women attended while in gymnastics training. Continue describing/explaining your Ethics News Event.
Topic 1: Moral Foundations Theory, Textbook p. 19
Moral Foundations Theory is an explanation of human moral behavior. According to the theory, there are five central value systems that influence human behavior. More than one of the systems would apply to the Larry Nasser case, but I will use the “Care” value system for my first topic. The Care value describes the idea that people should care for others and avoid actions that harm them. In my example, it is obvious that Dr. Nasser violated the Care value, since his actions harmed many people. Continue describing the topic, and explain how it relates to your example.
Topic 2: Parameters of Consent – Who Can Participate in the Decisions, Textbook p. 88
Psychologists are very careful to obtain informed consent from their patients. In some cases, it is difficult to determine whether the patient is able to give consent. This is true of minors in most cases, with some exceptions. Although Dr. Nasser is not a psychologist, it seems that the medical treatment he provided should have required consent from the patient or her parent. In my opinion, there was an issue with the process of obtaining consent from these young patients. They (or their parents) may have been pressured to give consent, as a condition of training in a particular gym or with a particular coach. If that is the case, I feel that the consent was not voluntary and therefore it would violate ethical standards. Continue describing the topic and explain how it relates to your example.
Full Credit – 30 points
1. To earn full credit, your Ethics News Assignment must meet the “Requirements” listed above. In addition, it must include three paragraphs:
a. Paragraph 1 must be an introduction and description of the Ethics News Event you selected. It must include the title, the source citation, and the description.
b. Paragraph 2 must be a topic from the textbook. Your paragraph must describe/explain the textbook topic, and explain why your Ethics News Event is an example of the topic. I encourage you to use your critical thinking skills. Think beyond the psychology application of your topic. What would happen in real life? How might a person reasonably think or react? If you know someone who had a similar experience, it’s fine to include his/her situation as part of your explanation.
c. Paragraph 3 must be another topic from the textbook. Once again, your paragraph must describe/explain the textbook topic, and explain why your Ethics News Event is an example of the topic. Again, remember to think independently and engage in critical thinking.
2. Your Ethics News Assignment must be at least 1000 words long. I suggest that you use the “word count” feature (in Word) to check the length, since I use this tool when grading the Ethics News Assignments.
To earn partial credit, your Ethics News Assignment must meet the “Requirements” listed above. But you may earn partial credit for an Ethics News Assignment that is shorter than 1000 words, or has only one topic paragraph (from the textbook).
Your assignment must meet BOTH criteria (word length and topic paragraphs) to earn a specific partial point level (see below). If the topic paragraphs and word length fall at two different point levels, your post will earn the lower of the two point levels. For example, if your Ethics News Assignment has two topic paragraphs and is 570 words long, it will earn 10 points.
To earn 25 points
Your Ethics News Assignment includes the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). It also includes two topic paragraphs AND it is at least 800 words long.
To earn 20 points
Your Ethics News Assignment includes the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). It also includes two topic paragraphs AND it is at least 700 words long.
To earn 15 points
Your Ethics News Assignment includes the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). It also includes one topic paragraph AND it is at least 600 words long.
To earn 10 points
Your Ethics News Assignment includes the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). It also includes one topic paragraph AND it is at least 500 words long.
To earn 5 points
Your Ethics News Assignment includes the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). It also includes one topic paragraph AND it is at least 400 words long.
NO CREDIT – 0 points
Under these conditions, your Ethics News Assignment will receive a grade of ZERO.
1. Your Ethics News Assignment is less than 400 words long.
2. Your Ethics News Assignment does not include the Ethics News Event paragraph (with the title, source citation, and description). This is one main point of the assignment, and your work will not earn credit without it.
3. Your Ethics News Assignment does not include a topic paragraph (from the textbook).
This is the second main point of the assignment, and your work will not earn credit without it.
4. Your Ethics News Assignment was submitted as an attachment. I do not open or grade attachments.
5. Your Ethics News Assignment was unformatted. Unformatted assignments are too difficult to read and interpret.
Your Ethics News Assignment grade will start with the point level earned above. After that, there are several types of point deductions that might apply.
1. There is a 10-point deduction for using another person’s name. Remember to use initials instead.
EXCEPTIONS: You may use the names of public figures, people in the news, or your own name.
2. There is a 10-point deduction for not including a correct, reasonable source citation.
Variable Deductions (5-25 points, depending upon seriousness of the mistake)
1. There is a deduction for using topics that are not from the assigned material. Make sure you use the correct chapters.
2. Check your observation for spelling and grammar errors. There is a deduction for excessive (5 or more) spelling and/or grammar errors. Use spell check.
3. Check your formatting. Deductions for formatting mistakes depend upon how much your paper differs from the requirements. Completely unformatted assignments earn a grade of ZERO. They are too difficult to read and interpret.
Do not copy material from another source, unless you enclose the copied material in quotation marks and correctly identify the source. You are allowed to quote short passages (50 words or less) in your Ethics News Assignment, but it is not required. If you choose to use quoted material, remember to identify the source in a bibliography at the end of your post. I do not care what type of bibliography you use, as long as I can identify your source.
Exception: You may refer to our textbook simply by chapter or page number. Just put quotation marks around the passages you use, and explain that it comes from our book.
Do not copy material from another student and submit it as your work. Do not give your work to another student to be copied.
If you engage in these behaviors, or any form of plagiarism, you will be subject to the Academic Misconduct penalties described in the course syllabus.