First Article: https://www.icivics.org/web-quests/supreme-interpreters
- Which school supplies do you think are necessary? Explain why.
- Why do you think the Supreme Court needs to be able to interpret the Constitution?
- In your own words, describe what rights the First Amendment and the Eighth Amendment (VIII) protect.
- Should Alvarez have been charged with a crime for his lie, or should his lie be protected by freedom of speech? Explain your opinion. Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision?
- Do you think it is “cruel and unusual punishment” to use a strict, 70-point test score to decide whether someone is intellectually disabled and may be executed? Explain your opinion. Do you agree or disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision?
- What if the Supreme Court did not have the power to interpret the Constitution?
Second Article: http://constitutioncenter.org/learn/hall-pass/the-bill-of-rights
- When the Constitution was first proposed, there were three dissenters. Who were they and why did they refuse to sign the document?
- What right does the Third Amendment protect?
- What does the Ninth Amendment say?
- Does the Bill of Rights apply to students? If so, to what extent?
Answers are from 2-4 sentences. All answers are found in the articles. Also state your opinion if the question says so and WHY.