Assignment 1.2: Conflicting
Viewpoints Essay – Part II
Synthesizing and Writing
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you
try to resist biases toward your own point of view? This assignment asks you to
engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
The assignment is divided into two (2) parts.
For Part I of the assignment
(due Week 2), you read a book excerpt about critical thinking processes,
reviewed the Procon.org Website in order to gather information, and engaged in
prewriting to examine your thoughts.
* Remember that in the Week 2
Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in Chapter 2 of the webtext.
In Part II of the assignment (due Week 4), you will write a paper to
synthesize your ideas.
Part II – Writing
Write at three to
four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. State your position on the topic you
selected for Assignment 1.1.
2. Identify (3) three premises (reasons) from
the Procon.org website that support your position and explain why you
selected these specific reasons.
3. Explain your answers to the “believing”
questions about the three (3) premises opposing your position from the
4. Examine at least two (2) types of biases that you
likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your
5. Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group
identification that may have influenced your biases.
6. Discuss whether or
not your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing
Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and
Agenta, this is part 2 of the paper you did for me about 2 weeks ago. I have attached it.