“My Papa’s Waltz” by Theodore Roethke
The poem is often misinterpreted as a father physically abusing his son. Explain how a reader might make this mistake, be sure also to explain the actually relationship between the father and son in the poem.
Write an essay that performs a close reading of one poem or compares and contrasts two poems. Support your explication using logical reasoning and relevant quotations from the poem you have chosen.
- Do NOT use outside sources for this essay. Your analysis should be entirely in your own words based on your interpretation of the poem and class discussion.
- Your essay MUST conform to MLA format:
- Poetry quotations MUST follow MLA short or long quotation format as appropriate.
- Include an MLA-formatted Works Cited page listing the poem(s) you analyze in your essay.
- Include a copy of the poem on a new page following the Works Cited page (i.e. the last page of your essay.
- Essay length: 4-5 pages (1000-1250 words, double spaced, 1” inch margins, 12 pt. Times New Roman font)