In case you need high-quality essay, we are here to help you. Would you like us to handle your paper? Use our writing services for better grades and meet your deadlines.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Note: Even though there are a very large number of links here, they are all quite short, so don’t feel intimidated!
1. Review the websites below and post a 200-300 word reflection. There are two issues I am most interested in having a discussion about here. First, who should be held accountable for the tragedy in Bangladesh? The Bangladesh government? The factory owner? The companies that buy from the factory? Western governments? Consumers of the final product (i.e. you!). Secondly, is American Apparel an aberration, or could its model be replicated by more businesses, especially in the clothing/textile industry?
Go to American Apparel’s website at http://www.americanapparel.net/ (Links to an external site.) and check out the following links within the site:
- http://www.americanapparel.net/aboutus/verticalint/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.americanapparel.net/aboutus/verticalint/usa/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.americanapparel.net/aboutus/verticalint/workers/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.americanapparel.net/aboutus/corpresp/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.americanapparel.net/aboutus/verticalint/factory/ (Links to an external site.) (optional)
Read an article on American Apparel’s filing for bankruptcy at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/business/american-apparel-files-for-bankruptcy.html (Links to an external site.).
Browse through at least a couple of these articles (they are short news stories) related to the tragic factory collapse that killed hundreds of textile workers in Bangladesh in 2012.
- http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/26/18447688-bangladesh-factory-collapse-why-women-endure-danger-to-make-clothes-for-the-west?lite (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/bangladesh-factory-disaster-forces-west-to-think-about-high-cost-of-cheap-clothes-1.1634663 (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.globallabourrights.org/campaigns/gap-and-old-navy-in-bangladesh (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/opinion/bangladesh-garment-workers/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/world/asia/garment-makers-stumble-on-call-for-accountability.html?hp (Links to an external site.)
2. comment on two other posts substantively.
(the two posts are in the file)