DMAIC / Six-Sigma Project
In this assessment, the students are required to implement DMAIC / Six Sigma projects. Upon the completion of the projects, instructors should be able to test the students` understanding of major part of the course materials.
- Develop an appreciation of quality management theory, principles, and practices. (LO: 1.1 & 1.2)
- Use quality improvement tools and practices for continuous improvement. (LO: 3.5 & 3.8).
- Develop strategies for organizational change and transformation. (LO: 4.5 & 4.6)
DMAIC / Six-Sigma Project
During the process of projects implementation, hypothetically for the assessment`s purposes, the picture your instructor as a chief executive officer of a company at any industry of your choice.
In order to gain the CEO` approval for quality improvement project (Six Sigma) and compete for full project`s sponsorship, student is required to provide a detailed project information to convince the instructor – supposedly the (CEO) to choose and support your project.
Guidance for the project report:
The report must include the following:
- Product or Service Information:
- The necessity for change :
- Define Stage ( Planning) :
- Measure Stage:
- Analyze Stage:
- Improve / Design stage:
- Control Stage:
Select an actual Product or Service from any international company that you would like to improve/change, and provide the following Information:
- The product or service general information such as name, features, value to customers..ect.
- Brief history about the chosen product or service (formation, sales, previous changes).
- The reasons behind the improvement decision, each group asked to present no less than two reasons why they think the change is important for their product /service (Leadership, Competitors Technological advances, Training requirements, Rules and regulations, Customer demands).
- Define the project’s scope, goals, and objectives and its team members and sponsors ( Project charter )
- Define the current and the desired status, the project scheduling.
- Define the stakeholders affected by the project such as (employees, society, customers, stockholders, suppliers…etc)
- Identify the team you need and the members` functions that will help you throughout the project.
- What method you plan to use for defining the project (Work Breakdown Structure, Pareto Diagrams) and why?
- Define the new process inputs, actions and desired outputs. (Hint : Process flowchart can be used to visualize the process)
- Define measurement Systems Analysis tool, to illustrate use measurements scales such as Nominal , Ordinal , Interval , Ratio. In addition, explain the reason for use.
- Discuss no less than two conditions that might hinder the project progression (process variation) using one of tools mentioned in chapter (15 – Analyze Stage).
- Describe the new value delivered to the customers upon the successful implementation of the project.
- Present no more than two condition that can be altered to make the desired change ( cost , operation, human resource).
- Discuss one to two techniques you plan to use to improve the efficiency of process such as lean tools, 5S …etc.
- Identify two methods that the team can use to evaluate performance after the project completion.
- Document two to three learned lessons from the process ( This part could be connected to the overall project experience )